Admission to our graduate program is highly competitive. Below are the minimum criteria for admission, although successful applicants typically have qualification far exceeding these criteria.
- Good academic records from food science, chemistry, chemical engineering, biology, or other related science disciplines (minimum GPA: 3.2/4.0)
- Three good letters of recommendation from professors or other professionals
- GRE scores, minimum 151 verbal and 156 quantitative (taken within the last 5 years)
- We require a minimum TOFEL iBT score of 99 for non-native English speakers (reading: 26, listening: 25, speaking: 23, writing: 25) or a minimum IELTS score bandwidth 7.0 (reading: 7.0, listening: 7.0, speaking: 7.0, writing: 6.5). TOEFL iBT/IELTS scores should be 2 years old or less. The revised TOEFL Paper-delivered Test is not accepted.
- Good personal statement (1 page description of why you want to obtain a graduate degree in Food Science at Rutgers)
Please note that meeting these criteria does not automatically guarantee admission, since there are usually more qualified applicants than spaces available. Admission decisions are based on holistic reviews of the applications, and thus failing one of the above criteria does not lead to automatic rejection.
Applicants are not required to contact individual faculty members prior to application. That said, it seldom hurts a students chance of admission to make prior contact with potential faculty advisors. A complete list of our graduate faculty can be found here: http://foodsci.rutgers.edu/GradFaculty.html.
Application is done on-line at the Graduate Admissions website http://gradstudy.rutgers.edu. The Food Science graduate program has no ability to view your application until it is submitted. All materials should be sent directly to the Office of Graduate & Professional Admissions for processing. No part of the application packet should be sent to the Food Science department, this will delay the application process.
All questions about the application process including questions about transcripts and supporting materials, receipt of GRE and/or TOEFL scores, etc. should be addressed to the Office of Graduate and Professional Admissions, http://gradstudy.rutgers.edu/about/contact-us.
Application Deadline Dates
Curriculum: Food Science 16400 School Code: 2790
Fall: December 15 for Non-degree, MS and PhD students
Spring: June 15 for Non-degree, MS and PhD students
Application deadlines for MBS program:
http://psm.rutgers.edu/admissions/application-deadlines and for BS/MBS
("4+1") Program are May 15th or Oct. 15.